electrictoes: (hug?)
[personal profile] electrictoes
Title: Another Small Adventure (3/8)
Characters/Pairings: TenII, Rose, various Tylers. TenII/Rose.
Rating: PG
Spoilers: Post-JE. Potential spoilers for everything for before that.
Disclaimer: Sadly, I don't own Doctor Who. Playing with the BBC's toys.
Summary:  Living a normal human life can still present adventures at every possible turn.
Author's Note(s): This is a sequel to A Different Kind of Adventure. It's probably not necessary to read it, but it'd be cool if you did. Massive amounts of thanks to my wonderful beta [livejournal.com profile] wishiknewwho. This chapter is for [livejournal.com profile] nipplemuggins , as a thank you for the wonderful & encouraging comments &hearts
Previous Chapters: Chapter 1, Chapter 2

 

The Doctor had spent much of the day in his lab going over the autopsy reports and catalogue pieces of the spaceships’ wreckage. When he met Rose downstairs that evening, they walked together to the vaults to check on security. Two Torchwood officers stood outside the containment cell allotted to the baby alien. They had not been able to find somewhere more suitable to keep her, but at least she was in a cot. She was staring up at the light bulb in her cell with wonder.

The Doctor slipped his hand from Rose’s and pressed it against the glass, watching the baby for a moment and projecting calm, happy thoughts towards her. He watched as she smiled, and he grinned too.

Rose wound her arm around his. “Will she be okay?”

“Yeah.” He nodded. “I think so.”

“I don’t like leaving her here.”

The Doctor shifted their arms so that he could take her hand. “No, me either.” He sighed. “It’s just one night. Tomorrow’s a new day, we’ll come up with something.” With one last glance at the smiling baby he led Rose from the room.

 

He slipped into the driver’s seat of their car, smiling as she slid in beside him. “What’s the plan for tonight then, Mrs Tyler?”

Rose looked at him for a moment. “I thought we could stay in. Just you and me.” He wiggled his eyebrows at her as he started the car and she laughed, shaking her head. “You know, since we got married, I think you’ve become even more insatiable.”

“Just exercising my conjugal rights.” He smirked. “You are duty bound to keep me happy, wife.”

“Is that so, husband?”

“Yep!” He popped the ‘p’ cheerfully and sent her a cheeky grin. “As such, I shall be taking you to bed as soon as we reach our marital abode.”

“You should be so lucky, Doctor Tyler. And will you keep your eyes on the road, please?” She was smiling though, so he was fairly sure his luck was in.

 

Rose allowed the Doctor to make a big show of leading her up the stairs and into their bedroom, but when he leaned down to kiss her something made her stop; an image flashing through her mind. The Doctor, with the baby, how perfectly right it had looked. She imagined him holding a baby with her eyes and his nose and she pulled back.

He looked at her, puzzled. “Rose? What’s wrong?”

“I...” Her hand found the wall and she paused a moment, trying to focus. “Could we maybe wait until after dinner?” She watched his reaction. He shrugged and she smiled. “I feel a bit dizzy, I’ve hardly eaten all day.”

The Doctor smiled. “Are you sure you’re not just dazzled by my handsome looks?”

She relaxed then and held out a hand for him. “Of course that’s it. Come on, your turn to cook.”

“Is it? Oh dear. Where’s the telephone?”

 

Once they had eaten the Chinese the Doctor ordered Rose snuggled into him on the sofa, playing with his shirt buttons idly. He kissed the top of her head and she looked up as he spoke. “Are you sure you’re okay?

She nodded. “I’m fine.”

“You’re quiet.” He murmured, stroking her hair softly.

“You’re not.”

“Never am, me.” He paused. “You can tell me if something’s bothering you, you know.”

“It’s nothing.” She sighed and turned her head back into his chest. She wanted to talk to him about children, but she didn’t know how to approach it or how he would react. She knew she was going to have to broach the subject soon, he knew that something was on her mind and she knew he would persist. “I was just thinking about the conversation I had with Mum yesterday.”

“Mm, what conversation’s that?”

“About... babies.”

“Oh, yes.” He shuffled slightly and Rose wondered if he was panicking. “Somebody’s pregnant.” He paused. “It isn’t your mother, is it? I mean, it’s very nice that her and Pete have stopped arguing but, she’s not as young as she used to be-”

Rose laughed. “You can’t talk.”

“I’m younger than I’ve been in years, I’ll have you know.” He blinked. “That sounds a bit ridiculous if you don’t know the way of things...”

He had her laughing again. She loved this man, so much. She placed a soft kiss on his jaw line. “Mum’s not pregnant.”

“Oh, good.” He returned to stroking her hair only to stop again seconds later. “Wait. Are you pregnant?” He sat up, disturbing her in the process. This time she was sure he had begun to panic.

“No, no.” She lay a hand on his chest softly. “I’m not pregnant.” She bit her lip before she spoke again, her eyes fixed to his anxiously. “Would it be so bad though? Us having a baby.”

“I...” The Doctor looked a little stunned. “No. No, of course not. I just...” He trailed off and Rose wondered if there was something he was hiding from her. She stroked his cheek and pecked his lips softly.

“You just what, Doctor?”

“Not now, eh?” He leaned back a little. “I mean, there’s no rush. Plenty of time for baby making, after all. Let’s talk about it another day.”

“Doctor?” He seemed more than a little distracted and he was definitely on the verge of panic. They had talked about children before, always in vague terms; when we have children, that’ll be a story to tell our grandkids, you’ll have to be the one to teach our daughter to dance, that sort of thing. Neither of them saying outright; I want kids with you. But she had always felt that he considered children to be something in their future. Maybe now that the reality was hitting him he was terrified, maybe now he realised that this was actually something she wanted. Maybe it was something he didn’t want. She tried to find the answers in his eyes, wondered if he was dwelling on thoughts of the children he used to have.

He sighed and she was pulled out of her thoughts, looking at him once again. “Sorry, we can have this conversation, I promise. Just... not tonight? Would that be okay?”

She nodded then, kissing him softly. “Come on you, weren’t you going to exercise your conjugal rights tonight?”

“Oh, if I must, Mrs Tyler.”

 

Rose was curled up in bed, unwilling to move ever again. Even the thought of the Doctor in the shower hadn’t been enough to stir her. She’d let him go without her, preferring to enjoy a moment of stillness. She was worried about the Doctor’s reaction to the idea of them having children, but she was sure whatever the problem was he would tell her in his own time. The time she had spent with the Doctor, knowing him and loving him, she had learned more than anything, that the more the Doctor was pushed, the more he clammed up. No, he’d talk to her when he felt ready.

In the meantime, she had other things to focus on. They didn’t need to have children right now, they had plenty of time; her mother was in her forties when Tony was born. She was only thinking of it so much because of her conversation with Jackie and the baby alien at Torchwood. It was just the timing of things that was making her biological clock jump up and down, battling for her attention.

She shuffled over the bed slightly to get more comfortable and cursed as her mobile phone rang. She was sure it would have remained silent if she hadn’t moved. She leaned off the bed to pull her mobile from her abandoned jeans and then sat back against the headboard as she answered it. “Rose Tyler.”

Moments later she was out of bed and clumsily dressing. She glanced down the landing as she exited the bedroom. She could hear the shower still running in the bathroom and decided not to disturb the Doctor. The phone call had been from Torchwood, late night callouts were not unknown for Rose and her team, although lately people had only called Rose in if it was absolutely necessary, preferring to let her enjoy their honeymoon period. The Doctor accepted that these callouts were part of Rose's job and rarely made a fuss about her leaving, although he often insisted upon coming along with her, despite his lack of official field training.

She scrawled a note for the Doctor on the pad by the phone, letting him know she would be back as soon as possible and that he should go to bed without her. She grabbed the car keys and left the flat quickly. Based on what she had got from Angelo’s hurried explanation, Torchwood could well have a riot on its hands before the night was out.

 

 

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-24 01:08 am (UTC)
ext_19866: (Default)
From: [identity profile] ladychi.livejournal.com
Ooooh, this is cute. I do like the way you're introducing the tension between the Doctor and Rose over the subject of babies, and the little alien girl at Torchwood. On one hand, I hope they get her back to her family (even extended) and the other part of me wonders if you're going to have them adopt her. Either way would work for what you're going for here.

I really enjoy the characterization, too. Particularly of Jackie. It's just really solid. Wonderful job, dear! I look forward to more.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-27 03:53 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] electrictoes.livejournal.com
Thank you very much!

Chapter four is up now, hope you like it.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-24 03:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] flyingtonowhere.livejournal.com
This makes me so happy, him having to face the possibility of really having kids of his own, and her trying to convince them both that it'd be okay if they did. And what a fantastic cliff hanger! I'm excited for the next part.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-27 03:53 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] electrictoes.livejournal.com
Thank you for reading.

Chapter 4 is up now :D

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-24 04:25 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] javabreeze.livejournal.com
I am adoring this series.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-27 03:53 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] electrictoes.livejournal.com
Thank you very much.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-24 05:31 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] salimali.livejournal.com
I love this!!!

I hope someone hasn't done anything to the baby at Torchwood- the Doctor (and Rose mind you) will have their hide if they have!

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-27 03:53 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] electrictoes.livejournal.com
Thanks for reading!

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-24 11:44 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shinyopals.livejournal.com
Ooh, looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Another nice chapter - I like the way you write the two of them, all cute and flirty. And I hope the Doctor opens up about stuff soon!

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-27 03:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] electrictoes.livejournal.com
Thank you! The Doctor will be opening up in the next few chapters, promise.

Chapter 4's up.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-24 06:38 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] nipplemuggins.livejournal.com
Headache + 3 essays + revision = a bad day. But THEN, I come on here and you've posted the next chapter! And suddenly nothing seemed quite so bad after all! *squishes you* This 'verse has to be one of my favourite of all time, it makes me melt and laugh and just squee all at once. Perfect. <3

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-24 06:41 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] nipplemuggins.livejournal.com
AND I HAVE JUST SEEN THAT THIS CHAPTER IS FOR ME. I have a big fat grin on my face. My day has just zoomed up like a hundred notches! Thank you! :D

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-27 03:55 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] electrictoes.livejournal.com
I'm so glad I can make your days better.
How's the revision going, by the way?

Glad you like it, you've put a big smile on my face! The next chapter's up; hope it makes a welcome break from studying.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-27 03:55 pm (UTC)

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-25 12:25 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] tarnera.livejournal.com
Uh-oh...a riot? The Doctor panicing in the face of children? Sounds like you've got plenty to resolve! I look forward to seeing how you do it! Great chapter!

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-27 03:55 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] electrictoes.livejournal.com
Thank you very much!

Icon!love btw.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-27 09:48 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] nani1986.livejournal.com
You're doing a very nice approach to the baby-thing! Kudos for that. I love Babyfics but sometimes the Doctor sort of feels OOC when he's just so eager to start making little Time Lords with Rose. He might be half-human but he's still the Doctor. Hehe.

Hope things turn out okay between them though :) And I can't wait for the next chapter.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-27 03:56 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] electrictoes.livejournal.com
Thank you very much.

I've just posted chapter four; hope you like it.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-04-29 04:18 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] wishiknewwho.livejournal.com
Oh dear. I do wonder what will happen next.

(Random!Snail approves of this chapter)

Profile

electrictoes: (Default)
electrictoes

May 2009

S M T W T F S
      12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31      

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags